Thursday, December 1, 2011

Snowflakes

 Ever since seeing crocheted snowflakes on a friend's Christmas tree, I've always wanted to learn how to make my own. The ones she had were made using thread, which I haven't attempted to crochet with yet (I've read it's more difficult than just using yarn). I found this tutorial which was very easy to follow with lots of good pictures. I found a red-heart brand yarn from Joann's that had some sparkle weaved into the yarn.


The smaller snowflake was made using a size g hook. I wanted them a little bigger, so tried one size up. I liked the look of the h hook better, so I made the rest of them using that size. I also realized I only made 5 points on the first (smaller) snowflake, when you were supposed to have 6 points. Whoops, guess all snowflakes are unique, right? :)

Close-up of the sparkles in the yarn, so pretty!

After crocheting the snowflakes, I pinned them all out on a piece of foam, then saturated them with spray starch. This helped them retain their shape and hang nicer.


Once they were dry, I used fishing line to hang them on our tree. So pretty!! 




The whole tree. I realized my star was crooked after I took the picture, grrrrrr... oh well.


This year my tree is very kid-friendly, which is kind of necessity with a toddler running around the house.
  • The balls are shatter-proof, even the shiny ones, I think they are made from foam. I got them at Target last year on clearance.
  • Red bows made from a roll of sparkle ribbon, then just placed on the tree.
  • Twinkle snowflakes/stars made from wire forms with beads strung on, then the ends bent into loops.
  • Little gingerbread men and women that I got on super clearance a few years ago from Craft Warehouse.
  • Tree skirt I got on clearance last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment