Friday, November 18, 2011

Flower Potholders

This is another project that I'm blogging about in November, but can't post until after Christmas. I made these potholders for my sister based off of this pattern. The pattern itself was kind of hard to read (the blogger said she originally wrote it in Norwegian, than translated it to English, but it's still in UK terms) but I was able to decipher it. I actually re-typed the whole thing and saved it so I wouldn't have to keep deciphering.

My sister's kitchen is red and black, so I picked out those colors, along with some white, in cotton yarn. I alternated the colors and number of rows of each color to make them all a little different.


After finishing them, they were a little wonky, so I decided to follow the advice from this awesome crochet library book I found (which I kind of want to keep) and blocked them.


Blocking (I learned from the library book) involves using some type of moisture to help the crocheted item flatten out after being stretched during crocheting. I pinned them all to my heavy piece of foam, then soaked them with a squirt bottle. After letting them dry completely, I unpinned them, and they were perfectly flat.

I hope she likes them. I bought some orange cotton yarn on sale at Fred Meyer the other day, so I might try making us some too.

No comments:

Post a Comment