Friday, November 11, 2011

Maternity Jeans

 I'm getting to that awful point during pregnancy where you feel huge and nothing looks good. I have literally 1 pair of jeans that look good on me, one that are too big but comfortable so I wear them, and 2 that are awful, but I've had to wear when my other ones were dirty. And I'm cheap, so I don't want to shell out $30+ on a pair of jeans that I'll only wear for another 3 months. Thanks to this tutorial from the blog grosgrainfabulous I finally got inspired to make my own. I followed the tutorial for the main idea, but changed a few things and cheated a little :)

One of the problems I have with maternity jeans is that they are never long enough. I have to routinely buy jeans in size long because average is always too short. And maternity jeans in long, while they do exist, are very difficult or expensive to find in stores. And like I said, I'm cheap, so while I know they are sold new, that's not really an option for me. So instead, I found a pair of regular jeans at Goodwill for $8 that were cute and flattering, and most importantly, long enough. I made sure they fit well in the butt and hips, but obviously wouldn't zip.

The tutorial said to cut out the zipper completely, but since this pair of jeans were pretty low-riding as it was, I didn't really want the top of the stretchy band to start that low. So I tried them on and zipped up the zipper as far as I comfortably could, then marked it with a pin.


Then from that pin line, I cut off the top of the jeans at an angle to the first belt loops on the sides. The tutorial had you cutting all around the back too, but I wanted to leave the belt loops on in the back so I could use them to help put on the jeans. I tried them on again to make sure it was a good fit so far.


Okay, here is where I cheated. Instead of buying a piece of stretchy jersey, I used a belly band that I've had but didn't really use this time around. I knew it fit well, and I didn't feel like buying some jersey that might/might not fit and might get awkward as it stretched out. A stretchy cami would probably also work really well, something you wouldn't have to worry about serging up the sides (since I don't have a serger).  The tutorial also had you only doing a half band, and after about 20 weeks or so, I really think the full panel maternity pants are much more comfortable, so I wanted to make sure I made that kind.

I tried on the jeans with the belly band, then carefully pinned the band to the top of the jeans. This was kind of difficult, I actually had to have my husband help in the back where I couldn't reach. I also pinned the front part to my underwear in a couple places, so be careful of that too. Once everything is pinned, carefully try sitting down and moving a little bit, to make sure they are comfortable. Then carefully take off the whole thing and finish pinning it, making sure the band is stretched evenly around the edges of the jeans. (I really mean carefully, I poked myself a few times getting these on and off).


Then I used a zig-zag stitch to sew around the edges, making sure to not catch the bottom of the band in the stitch. I went around twice, since there will be a lot of pulling on those stitches. Around the front I did one line of stitches right below the edge, then one right on the edge to help prevent some of the fraying. (The tutorial had you pinning the two pieces wrong side together, but after getting it how I wanted it, I didn't feel like trying to do that. It would have made for a nicer front, but since I left the back uncut, it might not have worked as well that way.)

Once it was all sewn together, I trimmed off the bottom of the band, and voilà!! A new pair of pants!!

 Yes, that is my ginormous belly. 27 weeks down, getting close to the end!




They are so cute, and I actually feel good in them. I have one more belly band, might make one other pair so I can make it through the last 3 months of winter before this baby comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment