Sunday, December 18, 2011

My poor hand...

After crocheting obsessively for the last month or so (wait, maybe longer than that, when did I learn? October maybe?), my hand has given out. I've become addicted to it, I seriously have a hard time sitting on the couch without yarn, a hook, and a project going. But after making ALL of my gifts this year, crocheting off and on all day for like three days straight, my right thumb started throbbing.

On one of the prenatal yoga videos I've done, the instructor mentions that pregnant women are more susceptible to carpal tunnel syndrome. I talked to my doctor at my 32 week appointment last week, and she said that it's very common. Swelling in the joints puts pressure on the nerve and can make your hand have sharp pains and go numb. And of course, repetitive movements are not good for it, they just make it worse.

AHHHHhhhh!!! No more crocheting????? What am I going to do??????


I've taken a break from crocheting for a few days, it's been hard, but it hurts too bad. However, the day I cut myself off completely (two days ago), I chopped a bunch of vegetables for a soup, which made my hand SO MUCH WORSE!! It throbbed all that night, and I haven't been able to use it much since. The pain is supposed to go away after having a baby and hormones and stuff go back to normal, but then I'll have a baby and won't be able to crochet. I'm a little broken up about the whole issue.


I'm trying to rest my hand now and not use it too much, which is hard, how do you not use your right thumb? There's a reason we have opposable thumbs... to use them!! Hopefully it won't take two more months (when baby is due) until it gets better. I'm in the middle of the last Christmas gift project, might have to just give them a picture of what it looks like. Until then, I guess I just have to survive the sadness of not being able to crochet. I'll have to think of some other activity to keep my hands busy while trying to rest on the couch until the baby comes. Hmmm... not quite sure what that's going to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment