Monday, April 29, 2013

The granny square squared

This afghan pattern I found and started quite awhile ago, but just recently resurrected and finished. I got a bunch of leftover yarn from my mom in varying shades of green and wanted to find a good use for it. I found this pattern, what I call a granny square squared. When I first started the pattern and got a little ways into it, it started getting kind of wonky shaped. I got kind of frustrated and gave up. After reading and discovering what blocking can do to a crochet piece, I decided to start it up again, and I'm glad I did.


The colors really did come out cool. I almost had enough yarn to finish the whole thing, I had to buy one more skein of the lightest color to finish off the edging, but that was it.

 OOooooohhhhh..... mesmerizing!!! 

I used my favorite edging, the scallop edge, to go around the entire blanket. 


It ended up being pretty big, and after washing it with fabric softener, all the misshaped-ness evened out. It also made the yarn super soft, which was a nice bonus.  


I gave this blanket to mother-in-law. I surprised her with it this last weekend. She had seen me working on it a long time ago and had commented on how much she liked the colors. She is conveniently using green colors in her living room, so all-in-all a perfect match :) 

I love spreading cheer through crochet goodness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment