Monday, April 29, 2013

My red afghan

This afghan was a long awaited creation, one that was in the works for quite awhile. I spent way too long on ravelry.com, trying to find the perfect pattern, and actually ended up starting another pattern (actually got significantly into it, using up an entire skein of Caron 1 pound yarn) but then ended up taking it apart because I didn't like how it was turning out. But this pattern I finally found was just what I was looking for, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I wanted a red afghan for the love seat in our living room, and was looking to make a solid colored one with varied stitches, kind of along the look of an aran afghan, or one using a lace-type pattern. I originally started this pattern, but I crochet so tightly, it ended up being a brick. I also messed up repeatedly in the stitch counts somehow (I blame the pattern) so the edges were all uneven. So after using up an entire skein, I abandoned it and went searching for another pattern. 

I finally stumbled upon this pattern on Ravelry, the "Irish Lace Blanket". I was a little nervous about the pattern. It's made creating motifs, crocheting them together as you go along to create panels, then attaching the panels together. It ended up not being that hard after all, and the different steps involved help keep it interesting.


Instead of sewing the panels together as the pattern stated, I followed the suggestion of a comment on the pattern and slip stitched the panels together. This created a little bit of a ridge in the center of each panel, which I liked. 


I also changed the edging. Instead of adding tassels (which I can't stand making, so annoying cutting all those strips, then they always end up fraying or coming out, anyway), I single crocheted around the entire edge and added a shell border. 


The next picture, while showing how cute my little girl is, and how her choice in clothing patterns can be interesting at times, also shows how big the blanket turned out. Pretty decent size, enough to cuddle up with and cover the back of the couch nicely.


This is the blanket's home, on the back of the love seat. Created the perfect addition of red to that side of the room.


No comments:

Post a Comment