Sunday, November 18, 2012

Madelyn's birthday cupcakes

With Madelyn's birthday always landing right around Thanksgiving, I wanted to make her something "fall" or "Thanksgiving" themed. She's been obsessed with cupcakes, and since I just recently got this cupcake cookbook...


I promised her I would make her some cupcakes. I made two different recipes: the Golden Vanilla Cupcake with an addition of a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, and the Gingerbread Cupcake. I topped them with Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting.They both turned out delicious, the Gingerbread one was amazing, definitely my favorite. 

After baking, cooling, and frosting, I wanted a cute way to decorate them. I searched Pinterest and finally found this tutorial for how to make little pumpkin pie cupcake toppers out of fondant. 

Success!!



I couldn't get over how cute they were!! My mom and I had fun making them while the girls napped, it was kind of like playing with playdough. I got the recipe for the fondant here, it was VERY MESSY to make, but turned out pretty good. I had to use lots of shortening to keep things unsticky and moist, but it worked better than the last time I used fondant making Madelyn's first birthday cake, which kind of turned into a cake wreck. 

Madelyn was pretty excited to see them after they were made and all the kids had fun eating them at her birthday party. She really liked her "pumpkin pie cupcakes" or "cupcake pumpkin pies." She couldn't decide which one they were :)

No comments:

Post a Comment