Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Revamping faded, ugly shirts

I've seen this done on a few blogs, and I always wanted to try it. I've realized that I don't like white shirts. They're too hard to keep clean and why wear white when there's so many other colors to wear?

I bought some purple RIT dye and followed the directions to dye fabric, using the sink dye method. My white porcelain sink did NOT turn purple, so that was a relief.

Here's the first shirt.


It was given to me by a friend. It was previously a dingy white. You will have to take my word for how bad it looked, I forgot to take before pictures. Loved the shirt, but it needed some new life. I was really happy how it turned out, can't wait to wear it!

The second shirt was one I've had in my closet for years. It was an awful dusty rose color that was the same color as my skin. But I loved the cut of it.

Had some help taking the pictures.

This one didn't turn out as well as the others. The instructions on the dye box said it was not recommended for fabric that was 50% or more of polyester. Of course all the shirts I wanted to dye were at least that (this one was 63% polyester). So I think that was why it had some color issues.


It had a spot of pink (don't know where that came from) and you can't really tell, but it's kind of splotchy on the back. Oh well, just have to wear it with a jacket.

The last one I got from a friend awhile back (I love free stuff). It's way too big, and very saggy and unattractive. And it was also white.


It was a different type of material, that's why it turned out with kind of a pattern. I will be using this shirt in the future to cut up and make into a scarf I think.

All in all, dyeing shirts wasn't too big of a project. The fabric dye for these three shirts only cost like $1.25. So 2 new shirts and a future scarf for that price? Not a bad deal at all!!


No comments:

Post a Comment