Wednesday, January 26, 2011

12x12 Canvas Art

I got this idea off of Craft Warehouse's website awhile back. Simple and cute artwork, for not much money.

The materials required:
12x12 canvas
Scrapbook paper, vellum, or fabric
Paint
Mod Podge
Embellishments (if desired)

I first took the 12x12 canvas and painted it to the color that I wanted. This created a kind of "frame".

Next, I covered the canvas with Mod Podge, and put the paper onto the canvas. Depending on the look you are going for, you can change the dimensions of the paper. Once the paper is glued to the canvas, cover the whole thing with Mod Podge. This creates a seal and a nice finish.

Side note: it takes some practice to Mod Podge correctly without getting any bubbles. If you have thicker paper, it works better. I've found that if I cover the canvas, then cover the back of the paper with Mod Podge too, it works better. Once you have both surfaces covered, lay the paper down and smooth out any bubbles. Sometimes bubble are inevitable, but annoying, especially if you're a perfectionist like me. 

From here on, the design is up to you. These two I just used the paper as the focal point.


This one is for my little girl's animal-themed room. I cut the paper down a little more, so that the black edge would show up better. I typed up the bible verse on some vellum, then used vellum tape to adhere it to the canvas.


 This one is in our bathroom. Once I added the pebble paper (which I love), I cut out a picture of a lab (looks just like ours, but it actually isn't), and glued it onto a piece of blue card stock, then attached it to the canvas using pop-up glue dots. I then added the letters in the bottom corner.


This is such a fun and easy project, and a great way to make unique artwork for your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment