Wednesday, January 26, 2011

First time following a pattern

I went to Joann's the other day when all their Simplicity patterns were on sale for 99 cents. They do this often, and I had previously made a list of all the patterns I wanted by looking at their website. This is much easier than sitting in the store looking through catalogs, especially with a kid in the cart. I picked up this pattern, and made Madelyn a dress.


It actually wasn't too bad. I had to read and re-read the directions, used my seem ripper multiple times, and had to alter a few things because of my supplies, but it turned out pretty good.


I even put in a zipper! Much easier once I figured out to use my sewing machine's zipper foot.

The dress is a little big. I followed the pattern for size 1 (Toddler sizes come in 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4. I assumed they were 6 months, 1 year, 2T, 3T, 4T, etc). The arm holes gape a little, and the dress could be taken in quite a bit on the sides, but too big is better than too small. She can probably wear it for quite awhile, and even when it gets too short she can wear it as a tunic-style shirt. But I loved the polka dots (I'm always a sucker for polka dotted anything), and it looks really cute with a white shirt and white tights.

I have another pattern cut out and ready to make, just have to get around to it. This took 15 minutes or so to cut out the pattern pieces, then about 3 hours total to cut out the fabric and sew the dress. It should take a lot less time for the next project, now that I know what I'm doing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment