Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Fun Spring Skirt

I've been wanting to make some new skirts for quite a while now (most of the ones I currently own I've had since high school). I found this really easy tutorial and tried it out. The pattern suggested using a lighter fabric for the skirt, and doing it in two layers. I had a bunch of thicker cotton that I got from my mom, so I used that. Instead of making it with two layers, I just cut it down to one.

I had some "help" measuring the fabric.

To make up for the top of the skirt requiring two layers, I took a small strip and sewed that to the top of the skirt piece. This way I could create the elastic casings, but be able to skip out on all the bulk.


Here's how it turned out!!


It's very full, haven't quite figured out what to wear with it yet, but it's very fun and perfect for spring (if it ever gets here). Threading all the elastic through all the casings took awhile, and made for some sore thumbs, but once I started doing it I figured out a method. All-in-all, not too bad. And it's with an easy to wear elastic waist (and no zippers to sew!!). I intend to try out this pattern again using a silk-like fabric in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment