Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Alterations on a Cardigan

I got this cardigan for free from a friend (thanks Marella!!). I loved the detailing on the sleeves, and the color, but hadn't worn it yet because it just didn't fit right.

Too baggy, not flattering.

See the beautiful sleeves?

I started by cutting off the ribbed material across the bottom.


Then I pinned down both sides and sewed about a half inch inside the previous stitches. Just enough to make it more fitted.


So for the hemming on the bottom... yeah that wasn't fun. I tried it first by just pinning and sewing, but that ended up making it all wonky (yes, wonky). A half hour later, after some quality time with my seam ripper, I tried something different.

I found some bias tape that was left over from a previous project. I tucked the now completely frayed edges (taking out stitches on knit is NOT FUN) into the tape, folded it up, then pinned it across the bottom.


I sewed twice around the hem, making sure to catch the knit inside the bias tape all the way around.

After the hassle of hemming, it turned out pretty good!! There were a couple spots around the edges that still looked a little weird, but now it is wearable, instead of something just hanging in my closet.


 I actually have two more cardigans to alter, hopefully I learned my lesson with this one and the next two will go quicker.



No comments:

Post a Comment