Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A new dress (the best one yet!!)

Okay, I think I'm finally starting to get this sewing thing figured out.

I just finished making a dress from a modification of Butterick 5216, using Simplicity 2579 for the skirt portion.

I made option C, but just lengthened the bottom and made it into an A-line skirt using the skirt portion of the Simplicity pattern. 


The bottom portion of the Butterick pattern had a line across the waistline that said if you wanted to lengthen or shorten the bottom, to cut there. So I did, then placed it on top of the Simplicity pattern.


Here's a closer picture of what it looked liked with the Butterick portion cut in two. I had to fold over the edge of the Simplicity pattern, it was a little too wide.


Once I got the dress made and tried it on, it was a little too gappy in the front (is gappy a word?). Since I didn't want my entire bra hanging out, I decided to close the gap.

I tried on the dress, then pinned where I wanted the top to come together.


I then sewed a gathering stitch up both sides from the pin down, and pulled on the stitches to gather them.


Then I pinned the two sides together, making sure they overlapped.


Then I basted, and stitched, making sure there weren't any gaps left between the two sides.

Once I got the neckline finished, it was perfect!!


 I love the A-line shape of the dress, it's so comfortable to wear. And the silk feels really nice.

 I was a little worried about working with silk again (after the frustrations I had making this skirt), but it wasn't too bad. The hemming around the neck and arms was somewhat frustrating, but all-in-all, it turned out pretty good, and I'm very happy with it. And an added bonus, I got the fabric on clearance at Joann's, 2 yards of 60 inch (instead of the normal 45) for $5!! Now let's hope the weather gets nice enough to be able to wear it in the near future!!

2 comments:

  1. this is really cute! you did a great job sewing it!! i really love how the fabric is shinny and i am really lovin purple right now! i made a purple dress a while back you should come to my blog and check it out sometime! madisonavenue2011.blogspot.com the post is called fashionista friday! my purple ruffle dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so pretty! Love the way you mixed the patterns, the a line, and the little bit of shimmer. Great price too!!

    ReplyDelete